A gluten-free diet is more than just a fad.
Some say that gluten is safe for everyone except those who have celiac disease. And, that non-celiac gluten sensitivity isn’t a real medical condition. All I know is that I’ve felt healthier, fitter, and more alert since I realised that wheat is bad for you. Especially genetically enhanced, chemical laden, pesticide sprayed, modern American wheat is really, really bad for you. If you have the sense your mother gave you, then you should stop eating anything made from wheat.
Gluten intolerance and celiac disease are direct results of American agriculture policy and, specifically, the government’s wading into the food arena. ~ Joel Salatin.
Gluten is what makes flour and water as sticky as glue. Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like; wheat, spelt, rye, barley, bulgur, oats, and seitan. There is no gluten in either quinoa or rice. Nor is there any gluten in potato or beans. However gluten is found in almost all processed and packaged foods, sauces, and canned food.
Non celiac gluten sensitivity is poorly understood, and there are no specific medical tests of your blood, stool, or urine that can reliably diagnose gluten intolerance. You and your doctors can only reliably diagnose gluten intolerance by the symptoms and health problems you have. On the other hand, there are reliable diagnostic tests for full-blown celiac disease.
- Irritable bowl problems such as abdominal pain, bloating, cramping, constipation, and diarrhoea.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Irritation of the mouth and throat.
- Brain fog, difficulty concentrating, problematic memory.
- Frequent headaches.
- Mood changes, anxiety, depression, irritability.
- Low energy and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Muscle and joint pains. Osteoporosis.
- Peripheral neuropathy, numbness and tingling in the hands, arms, feet and legs.
- Skin problems, dermatitis, eczema, rosacea, skin rashes.
- Nutrient deficiencies, vitamin deficiencies, iron deficiency, anemia.
- Asthmatic attacks.
- Higher risk of learning problems including autism and ADHD.
- Sexual problems and in women missed periods.
- Gut autoimmunity, damage to the gut biome
Gluten intolerance will affect every single part of the body as the bacteria in your gut help to control everything from nutrient absorption, to hormone production, to metabolic function, to the way your brain works.
The problem is that gluten from wheat is found in just as many products as that other evil and unnatural food; high fructose corn syrup. One should read the labels before buying any food, and certainly avoid these foods
- bread, crackers, pizza, burritos, tortilla, cakes, cookies and the like
- beer, lager, stouts, ales
- barley malt
- packaged, store bought chicken broth
- malt vinegar ~ buy natural organic apple cider vinegar instead
- most salad dressings including mayonnaise
- veggie burgers unless they are certified gluten-free
- soy sauce
- packets of seasonings and spice mixes
- noodles unless they are rice noodles
- all pasta, (unless it’s marked gluten-free)
- most condiments
- non dairy creamer
- bullion cubes and stock cubes
- canned soups
- cheese spreads and other processed cheeses
- sausages and hot dogs
- ice cream, frozen yogurt, and milk unless it’s from grass-fed cows.
- Sour cream, which may contain modified food starch.
If you are even mildly gluten intolerant you will need to be very careful when eating out. Eating out is fun, however,when eating out becomes the norm, and you find yourself eating out two, three, or more times a week, then eating out is no longer a healthy treat and is instead a bad habit. If you are gluten intolerant dining out is very bad for your health. The same goes for buying Chinese take-out which is likely to be stuffed with MSG, (Monosodium Glutamate). When eating out avoid fried foods, thickened sauces, and obviously bread. Only drink gluten-free booze such as cider, wine, spirits and liqueurs, (there are gluten-free beers). And, if you’re drinking spirits don’t have diet soda as your mixer ~ diet soda is also bad for you.
Some say that gluten intolerance might really be glyphosate poisoning. And that pre-harvest spraying of wheat and sugar cane with Roundup makes for an easier harvest. All I know is that I don’t want to eat food contaminated with weed-killer.
Glyphosate is for sure, in every bite of food that contains wheat. ~ Nancy S. Mure
As it goes, wheat flour and refined sugars are just so very bad for you that your best choice is to avoid them all together. The list of health problems caused by these two staple foods is both long and nasty.
You may want to look for non-gluten alternative foods and products, and there are lots of these if you make the effort. Personally I have merely given up anything made with wheat flour, including; bread, cakes, pizza, pasta, cookies, canned soups… ~ and I now also make an effort to read the labels on the stuff I buy at the supermarket.
For most of us, giving up bread and beer is a pretty easy and very beneficial thing to do.
If you want to be really fit and healthy, start by never again eating anything made with wheat flour, you know it makes sense.
If you want the full story then you have to click on the links.
there is plenty of reading
Be fit and healthy ~ stop eating wheat
This is not about food, this is all about money. Wheat has been all about money since the dawn of agriculture in about 9,500 BC. In fact for a long, long time wheat and bread took the place of money, being both a store of value and a medium of exchange. The builders of the pyramids were paid in bread and beer, both by-products of wheat. Every American consumes about 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, and this consumptions pays for the powerful business and political empires that go along with modern agriculture.
Modern wheat is very bad for you, and so are wheat products; flour, bread, cakes, cookies, biscuits, pasta, noodles, tortilla, wraps, pizza, pancakes, flapjacks, doughnuts, soups, beer… The wheat and it’s products that we eat now is the end result of genetic research and long way from the simple 14 chromosome Einkorn wheat plant we ate 10,000 years ago.
Wheat is basically the worst of the worst carbohydrates, and even a modest exposure to the starches in wheat is enough to increase the appetite, raise blood sugar, induce fat accumulation, initiate inflammatory processes, increase bad LDL cholesterol, and cause high blood pressure. Celiac Disease is described as far back as 100 AD, but wheat problems aren’t restricted to people with celiac disease.
Cutting wheat products in my diet, in particular, proved a dietary turning point that reduced my appetite, accelerated weight loss, and just helped me feel clearer, more energetic, and happier than I’d felt in years. ~ Dr. William Davis, Cardiologist.
Wheat is full carbohydrates and some very bad proteins; gluten, wheat germ agglutinin, and amylase trypsin inhibitors. These proteins irritate your gut, and cause inflammation and bloating. This irritation causes a problem called intestinal permeability which is a contributory factor in autoimmune diseases. Wheat germ agglutinin exacerbates this leaky-gut problem which allows all kinds of nasty things into your blood. The gluten in wheat also messes with the friendly bacteria in your gut. All of this makes you prone to obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, infectious diseases, along with diarrhea and or constipation, heartburn, bloating, farting, and other gut problems. Wheat is also a contributory factor in brain fog, depression, Alzheimer’s Disease, schizophrenia, autism, and other mental health problems. For good measure the gluten in wheat will mess with your skin making you feel itchy and leading to eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis. The thing is, everyone is gluten intolerant to a greater or lesser degree.
Wheat makes you fat.
- The super starch amylopectin A in genetically modified dwarf wheat that makes great bread and cakes will spike your blood sugar just as much as eating pure refined sugar. There is no difference between whole wheat and refined white flour, both are equally as bad.
- Dwarf wheat gluten has twice as many chromosomes as the gluten protein found in ancient wheat plants, as well as a lot more gluten in general. This gluten will make you sick and fat.
- Dwarf wheat contains a super drug which will make you crazy, hungry, and addicted. Your body turns the proteins in wheat into polypeptides called exorphins, which are exactly similar to the endorphins you get from a runners’ high, which are exactly similar to opioids. People will binge on cakes and cookies because of this super drug, but people never binge on broccoli.
So why do we eat wheat and other grains? One reason is that wheat and other high carbohydrate grains are addictive. The other reason is that we are all subjected to endless propaganda encouraging us to consume more and more of these nasty foods. From the tempting counter displays in supermarkets to pronouncements by official bodies like the US Food and Drug Administration, and the Food Standards Agency in the United Kingdom we are constantly encouraged to consume wheat, barley, oats, rice.. all of which are bad.
There is another reason wheat has become highly toxic in recent years. It is common practice in the USA, Canada, and Europe to drench wheat and barley fields with a herbicide called Roundup a few days before the combine harvesters start work. Killing and desiccating the grain plants like this allows an earlier, easier, and more efficient harvest. Roundup contains the deadly chemical glyphosphate, and it’s residue in wheat and barley also kills the good bacteria and contributes to leaky-gut syndrome.
Roundup is made by the giant chemicals company Monsanto. Monsanto is set to merge with the Giant German chemicals company Bayer. No politician or regulator is going to want to annoy Monsanto or Bayer. It is all about money. The production and consumption of wheat and other grains has nothing whatsoever to do with good food, it’s all about money.
Do yourself a favour and avoid wasting money due to ill-health, stop eating wheat and it’s products for six weeks. Then see just how much fitter, healthier, and more alert you feel. I gave up wheat on the 9th of June this year, and today I feel so much better than I could have ever believed.