Manners Maketh the Man, (and Woman).
With Christmas festivities in full swing, some of us are going to have to go out and about to meet a lot of people we don’t normally mix with. This is not always a pleasure. Not everyone we meet is civilised and well mannered. There are some real animals out there.
A mature Englishman is allowed to have an opinion of what constitutes civilised behaviour, and what marks people out as heading in the general direction of the low IQ knuckle-draggers and sleazy slatterns. I will admit to having some pet hates, and that my opinions and tastes are a trifle old-fashioned, preppy, conventional, proper, and, well, English. However, some of the douchebags out there could do with some good, old-fashioned, English manners.
Among the things that I really hate to see and be near are;
- People walking along the street, or in the mall, who aren’t looking where they’re going, usually because they’re engrossed in their smart phone / cell. These idiots are a danger to themselves and others. These same people probably browse social media while they’re driving.
- ‘Friends’ sitting together and looking at their smart-phone / cell / tablet rather than engaging in some intelligent and lively conversation. That’s just about as ill-mannered as it gets.
- People who smoke without asking if it’s OK with everyone else present. Thank you, I don’t want your disgusting and unhealthy habit in my personal space.
- Smokers who throw their cigarette butts onto the street / out of the car window / into a potted plant / into their coffee cup.
- People who drop litter in the street when there is a litter-bin, (trash can), just feet / yards away. How stupid and lazy is that?
- Dog owners who don’t clean up the disgusting mess their pooch makes. Oh, and dog owners who assume that everyone will just love their nasty animal. As it goes, I’m a cat person anyway.
- Parents who don’t control their screaming, badly behaved children in stores / restaurants / on public transport / in airports….
- Opinionated people who not only assume that you are remotely interested in their political views, but that you also agree with them. Three things a polite Englishman will never willingly discuss; politics, money, and women.
- Slobs who drink beer straight out of the bottle. Have you any idea where beer bottles are stored and how many cockroaches / mice / rats have scuttled across those bottles? For goodness sake, have some style and get a glass.
- People who eat with their mouth open while they are walking along the street / around the mall / waiting in queues. That is gross.
- And then there are those people who will tell all and sundry about their unpleasant medical problem. To be honest, I don’t want to know about flatulence, hemorrhoids, varicose veins, or any other issue that anyone has with their body. Please keep these things between you and your doctor.
The type of scuzzy people who do some or all of the ill-mannered things above have one thing in common above all else, (apart from the fact that they are irredeemably common). These people care nothing for anyone else’s finer feelings, and very little for themselves.
The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without seeing any. ~ Fred Astaire
Good manners cost nothing. I firmly believe that before you can truly respect yourself you have to respect others too. If you want to be a slob, skank, slut… then please do it in the privacy of your own home, rather than inflicting yourself upon decent people.
these opinions are mine and mine alone