Brexit was the first brick knocked out of the establishment wall.
Brexit is the invented word used to describe the exit of Great Britain from the European Union, and right now that process has descended into black farce and chaos.
The simple facts are these;
- On the 23rd of June 2016 the people of the United Kingdom voted in a referendum to leave the European Union.
- Since then the political establishment here did bugger all for a couple of years about organising Great Britain’s exit from the European Union.
- The plain fact is that hardly anyone in the politic establishment wants Great Britain to leave the European Union ~ our Prime Minister Mrs. Theresa May included.
- Over the past few months Mrs. May negotiated a very unsatisfactory ‘exit deal’ with the European Union.
- This deal was put to Parliament yesterday, and Mrs. May suffered a crushing, humiliating defeat by 230 votes ~ by far the biggest defeat by a sitting government ever.
- Today, Wednesday January 16th, Mrs. May faces a vote of no confidence in parliament, she is likely to win that because hardly any Member of Parliament wants to face a general election right now.
- Any previous, honourable Prime Minister would have resigned yesterday after such a crushing defeat in parliament ~ Mrs. May has no real honour.
- As things stand, Great Britain will leave the European Union on March 29th 2019, whether there is any kind of a deal in place or not.
- The majority of the English people couldn’t give a
fuckdamn if there’s a deal in place or not, we just want out of the European Union.
The political establishment is hated by the majority of the people in the United Kingdom, and if politicians fudge, obfuscate, kick the can down the road again and delay Great Britain’s exit from the European Union, there will be a blood-letting at the next general election that will make the English Civil War look like a garden party.
Some say you can tell when a politician is lying because their lips will be moving. And that the idea of an honest politician is just an urban legend. All I know is the political class here is hated and mistrusted as never before.
Theresa May is no Churchill
Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
Writing about politics is not my forte, nor do politics often interest me. However, I am moved to comment a little on the debacle that is the exit of Britain from the European Union ~ Brexit.
In a Parliamentary debate, Jeremy Corbyn, (the leader of the Labour Party, the guy who looks like a bad geography teacher), accused Theresa May, (the Prime Mininster, the woman who looks like the head mistress of a third-rate girls’ school), of being stuck in Brexit Groundhog Day.
For those at a loss as to the allegory, ‘Groundhog Day’ is a 1993 Bill Murray movie based on a story by Danny Rubin. In the film Murray plays arrogant TV weatherman Phil Connors, who gets stuck in a time loop on Groundhog Day in Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania, and is forced to relive Groundhog Day, over and over again. As it goes, the pathetic Jeremy Corbyn chose a bad allusion. The Bill Murray character is arrogant, but capable ~ our Prime Minister, Theresa May is neither. The Bill Murray character uses these endlessly repeating days to find different strategies to try and woo the beautiful Rita Hanson, (played by the beautiful Andie MacDowell) ~ I’m not even certain that Theresa May has one strategy, never mind using the time to find different strategies to get Britain out of the ugly European Union. And, Theresa May is not nearly devoting enough of her thought, time, and energy to getting Great Britain out of the European Union.
The Government cannot just be consumed by Brexit. There is so much more to do. ~ Theresa May.
However, the Prime Minister has, at least, 5 insoluble problems:
- The country is deeply divided. In the EU referendum on 23 June 2016, only 51.9% of those who voted, (72.2% of the electorate), said they wanted to get out of Europe. Not only that, there were huge regional variations, with London voting strongly to stay in the EU.
- Parliament is deeply divided. In all honesty, most of the self-serving members of parliament, (that would be about 90% of them), want to stay in the European Union. The EU is an endless ‘gravy train’ for politicians ~ when Britain leaves all those highly-paid, generously pensioned, non-jobs will no longer be open to British politicians.
- Great Britain is the number 2 source of funding to European Union Institutions, (after Germany), and EU officials and politicians are terrified of what will happen to their finances when Britain finally leaves. Consequently the EU is demanding a ‘Brexit divorce settlement‘ of 100 billion Euros ~
fuck offon yer bike. The irresolute Theresa May is currently offering 20 billion Euros. In the view of the majority of English people, we should walk away without paying a penny.
- Most of Europe has a strong dislike of England because; we are better than they are, we have won every war with them that’s ever been fought, and we refuse to learn their foreign languages. This dislike spills over among European Union politicians, officials, institutions, and their press and broadcast media. That makes substantive negotiations extremely difficult.
- Deep within herself, Theresa May seems to be someone who would prefer compromise to confrontation. She lacks confidence, having called what turned out to be a disaster of a General Election on June 8th this year. She lacks charisma, even the clown Boris Johnson has more genuine charisma than does Prime Minister Theresa May. There is no steel in her soul, one can just imagine what Margaret Thatcher would have made of Brexit negotiations ~ likely she would have hit the alcoholic Jean Claude Junker with her handbag.
Those who think in Britain they can push the Brexit button and not have a bill to pay are seriously mistaken. ~ Charles Michel
What Great Britain needs now is a Winston Churchill, not an irresolute Neville Chamberlain. (Churchill’s reputation has been hijacked by pro-Europeans, who have obviously never read his books The Second World War, or A History of the English-Speaking Peoples.)
In the best interests of Great Britain, Prime Minister Theresa May has got to be brave, she has got to be strong, and she has got to be tough. I’m not holding my breath.
click on the book
The Steel Of The New Iron Lady.
There is a wailing and gnashing of teeth among Britain’s left-leaning inner city liberal elite today. The snowflake Guardian newspaper has completely thrown its toys out of the pram. Tim Farron, the pathetic failed Leader of the Liberal Party, says that Teresa May has completely betrayed Britain.
All because, in a landmark speech yesterday, British Prime Minister Teresa May signaled that she fully accepts the will of the majority of the English Peoples and will negotiate the hardest of hard Brexit with the moribund European Union.
There is a 12 point plan for when Britain finally exits European Super State, the major elements of which are;
- Britain will leave the European Single Market.
- We will end freedom of movement and take control of immigration.
- Britain will no longer accept rulings from the European Court of Justice.
- We will leave the European Customs Union.
- Britain will look to the whole world when we make our own trade agreements.
The Prime Minister gave European politicians a stinging ultimatum and said that she will just walk away from a bad deal, and that if they don’t negotiate a mutually beneficial trade deal with the United Kingdom they will be committing an ‘act of calamitous self harm’.
Addressing stunned European Union ambassadors she threatened that Britain will set itself up as a low tax rival if European leaders tried to impose a punitive exit deal on Britain. If Europe doesn’t play ball, then Britain will just walk away and let them get on with it. Anyhow, it’s likely that the European Union will implode after Britain leaves.
Teresa May is waving both the carrot and the stick, and it’s a pretty big stick. Britain is the fastest growing G7 economy, the fourth biggest economy in the world, the second biggest contributor to NATO after the USA, London is the world’s greatest financial centre, and English is the only truly world language.
The original Iron Lady was British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who had a close political relationship with President Ronald Reagan. Perhaps Teresa May and Donald Trump will forge a similar history making Special Relationship between the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Perhaps Mr. Trump could even persuade Teresa May to throw cold water on the whole stupid, tax funded, man-made climate change CO2 hysteria. After all, England has bugger all in common with Europe, and a hell of a lot of shared history and culture in common with America.
Some say that all Britain will regret turning our backs on the European Union. And, that our economy will falter and fail. All I know is Europe ain’t seen nothing yet.
these opinions are mine and mine alone
Most of the news media has confidently predicted that Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States.
Most of the news media confidently predicted that the United Kingdom would vote to remain in the European Union in our referendum of 23rd of June 2016.
In the event England decisively voted to leave the European Union, and a new word entered the language; Brexit.
Leave aside the political rights and wrongs, and instead look at the effect that politics has on the Pound or Dollar in your pocket.
The immediate impact of Brexit has been twofold.
- The value of the pound fell dramatically on the foreign exchange markets, (FOREX). There was no good reason for this other than the Political Establishment creating alarm and despondency in Project Fear, in an effort to persuade voters to opt to remain in the hated European Union.
- The price to the consumer of all kinds of goods and services has been increased by mostly unscrupulous suppliers and retailers off the back of Brexit and the fall in the value of the pound. Some of these price increases are fairly justifiable, for example the UK price of petrol, (gasoline), has soared. But then oil is priced and traded in US Dollars. Some price increases blamed on Brexit are just fatuous, for example Walkers Crisps, (chips), have increased their prices by 10% and blamed it on Brexit. Walkers crisps are made in Britain from British potatoes.
There is one lesson to be learned from this. Markets, manufacturers, retailers, service companies, and politicians will use any change in the world order to justify price rises / tax increases / rapid falls in the financial markets. What they are saying to the man in the street is; ‘don’t blame us, it’s all your own fault for voting for the wrong result’.
What you didn’t know is that the major players in any market; banks, brokers, governments, insurance companies, speculators and the like, can all make money in a falling market, (aka a bear market). Principally they do this by ‘selling short‘, that is they sell stocks, commodities, foreign exchange that they don’t actually own for delivery at a future date. Then, when the market concerned falls, they buy the stocks, shares, commodities, foreign exchange they need to complete the contract ~ but here’s the thing, they buy at a lower price because the market has fallen.
Now, you or I can potentially make money in a falling market by selling short through our broker, but this is a very bad idea, because what you are doing is creating a risk where none exists, and that’s just gambling. Entering into this kind of deal is a very fast way to go broke.
However, it benefits the major players in any market to create uncertainty, because where there is uncertainty and chaos there is profit for them. And, where does this profit come from? Actually it comes from you and I, the average man in the street. Because of political uncertainties the cost of just about everything I buy, including my overseas road trips, has gone up. The value of almost everything I own has fallen, including stocks, bonds, and hard cash.
Should Donald Trump be elected President it is likely that chaos will hit the US financial markets. You can even take a bet on what will happen to Wall Street after the election. I can firmly predict that if Clinton loses the value of the US Dollar will fall, as will the Dow Jones Industrial Average. And why is that? Because it suits the speculators to make it so.
As it happens, nobody yet knows what will happen to the UK economy now that we are committed to leaving the European Union. Nobody yet knows what kind of President Mr Trump will make, nor what kind of handle on the US Economy Mrs Clinton has either. Most of the short-term economic impact of politics is down to speculation and not fact.
Personally, I disagree with just about everyone in that I believe Trump will make a better president than Clinton, (as far as the US Economy is concerned), and that Brexit is better for the UK Economy than staying in the European Union and Single Market could ever have been.
But then, I’ve never been one to have fashionable views.
these opinions are mine, and mine alone
There is a vile and dangerous threat to the modern western world. Those who pose this threat have no morals, ethics, or humanity. They wish to impose their stone age version of warped ‘civilisation’ on the world by turning it into one monstrous Islamic fundamentalist caliphate.
Violence, repression, rape, mutilation, and murder is common currency to these snarling, smirking, revolting savages. Their religion has nothing to do with their creed of indiscriminate destruction. These dangerous, disgusting, loathsome deviants are destroying the religion they claim to follow.
However, there is an even more insidious danger facing Europe and the USA. The danger is that the Civilised West will respond in kind. (We have already had the welcome vapourisation of the Isis executioner, so-called Jihadi John.) President Obama condemns these horrific events in Paris as an ‘attack on all of humanity’. How long before we see the BUFF’s in the air over the Middle East?
In the recent elections in Poland there has been a notable swing to the Right, with the left-liberal pro European Union elements shunned at the ballot box. In the wake of yesterday’s horrific killings France has closed its borders. In the UK David Prime Minister David Cameron’s chances of winning a vote to stay in the EU have taken a nose dive. Ultra left-liberal Sweden has reimposed border controls.
And so it goes… And all eyes turn to Germany….
with deepest sympathy for all those killed, hurt, and bereaved in France