Tag Archives: Core Values
Core Values are who you are when no one is watching.
Appreciation of natural beauty is one of my core values.
I cannot claim to know, accept, and understand in detail what my core values about Life are. In fact, I even had to check the definition of ‘core values’ before I could work on knowing, accepting, and understanding my own core values. The various definitions seem to coalesce into;
Core Values are Fundamental Beliefs and Principles that guide a person’s conduct and relationships with others.
It would appear that Core Values can be positive, negative, or pretty meaningless and neutral. I firmly believe that almost everyone has all three types of core values, and we all have more negative core values than we would like to believe.
My own negative core values include;
- Everybody lies.
- The world is full of fools, and 90% of the people I meet will be much less intelligent than I.
- The world is a dangerous and brutal place, and a man has to be capable, knowledgable, and tough to survive and thrive.
- Casual sex, first date sex, sex with multiple partners, picking up girls in bars ~ are all reprehensible behaviours.
My more positive core values include;
- Treating my friends with kindness, consideration, acceptance, understanding, and unselfish love.
- A belief that there is great beauty in this world, and it should be protected, celebrated, and appreciated.
- Life is short, and I should therefore make the very most of every minute of every single day.
- I should continue to strive for self-improvement and self-awareness.
- We should treat all others as well as we possibly can, just as we ourselves would wish to be treated.
If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. ~ J.K. Rowling
As it goes, I have a small problem with the quote from J.K. Rowling, as it makes the assumption that some people are superior to others, ergo some people are inferior. Actually, this is true, but it is not a pleasant thought.
My wishy-washy, neutral and meaningless core beliefs include a belief that politics, and religion are pointless, dishonest, and self-serving. Which may really be more negative than neutral.
There are some other words which resonate with me when it comes to my core values;
Honesty, Integrity, Individuality, Enjoyment, Trustworthiness, Reliability, Wisdom, Simplicity, Learning, Discipline, Truthfulness, Politeness….. All of these words should probably form part of my written core values.
It’s actually all pretty difficult stuff. I think I need to meditate, or take a long walk, or just let my subconscious mind ponder the whole subject of my own core values for a while. It could take the rest of my life. It should take the rest of my life.
Dawn seen from the garret.
Sponsored by: http://www.amazon.com/shops/salinevalleyenterprises