rose hips are the fruit of the flower of love
no matter what they say, rose hips are indeed a fruit
High summer presses its heat and humidity down on us, and yet in England the hedgerows are already beginning to ripen with wild harvest. One of the hedgerow’s natural bounties is the false fruit of the dog rose, (rosa canina), more commonly known in England as rose hips.
You can do a lot of stuff with rose hips, from making syrups and jams, to my preferred use which is to make a tincture of rose hips and rosemary in apple cider vinegar. As well as sweetening and adding taste to the cider vinegar. the rose hips also add diuretic, lithontriptic, and mild laxative qualities to your brew. As for rosemary, this stuff is almost a cure-all. I just add an odd number of fresh sprigs to the bottle, (for good fortune it must be an odd number.)
The finished product, (ready in about 6 weeks and will keep for a year or a lot longer), is a great basis for a salad dressing. Diluted in water it is also a first class tonic and as part of a whole-body cleanse. There may be no truth whatsoever in the persistent rumour that this concoction is a very potent female aphrodisiac. However, it is well known to be a cure for practically whatever that ails you.
You can also make a true tincture of rose hips using medicinal alcohol, (or vodka). For those of us with a real taste for booze, just make a rose hip brandy or vodka. I have even heard of rose hip gin, and although I’ve never tasted it, I have it on very good authority, from a very close friend, that this booze is the bomb.
The dog rose is an important plant to the herbalist, because the leaves, petals, and hips all have their uses. In a hedgerow, the plant may reach six feet or more in height, its flowers can be anything from white to a delicate pink, and if will guard its bounty with some particularly persistent thorns. (You can also use the hips, leaves, and petals of the cultivated rose, but I would look for a rose variety that’s as close to the wild rose as possible.)
Some say that you must be very careful when picking fruits, berries, and salad leaves from the wild ~ the uninitiated may pick themselves a deadly poison. And that everything belongs to somebody, so be discreet. All I know is that the mixture of rose hips, rosemary, and organic apple cider vinegar is as near to a sorcerer’s brew as anything I know.
a rose by any other name is still as sweet
even if it’s a dog
we shall meet in a secret place where social distancing isn’t known
in-car satellite navigation isn’t private
the Police are being taught how to say;
‘Papers Please…..’ in a menacing voice
who controls the past controls the future
as far as his recent lovers went, his lips were sealed
ever since he used a pritt stick instead of lip-balm
‘sorry babes-o, can’t meet for lunch, I’m having my microchip fitted’
these days, when you book a call girl there’s a hell of a lot of paperwork
we all leave tracks in the sand
we just never expected that the government would follow them
she had no objection to telling them who she’d slept with
but she couldn’t remember all their names
millions are being wrongly put back into lockdown
because mass testing gives too many false results
The entire effort to contain the coronavirus is a massive waste of time and money. The greatest impact of all these efforts has been to destroy the global economy, take away our civil liberties, and to hand unimaginable powers to politicians and unelected officials. Here, the government is even talking about putting the army on the streets of England to enforce lockdown ~ that will end social cohesion for a generation.
- Closing borders does not work. Australia had some of the strictest entry rules for visitors and returning Australians, and yet the coronavirus is allegedly rampant in that country. You cannot stop aircraft from landing with mail and essential imports, you cannot stop ships docking with essential imports and to load exports, and there are always some people who are exempt from the entry restrictions. (Doctors, Politicians, and Unelected Officials.)
- The money spent on mass testing has been thrown away. Here in England the mass testing centres were mostly ignored by the public, there are far too many incorrect results, either producing false positives or false negatives, and people can catch the virus from the testers themselves. Testing offers no benefit to the person being tested.
- Recently President Trump stated categorically that lockdown doesn’t work, (at least not when it comes to containing the coronavirus). A study in New York confirmed that the infection rate was just about the same for those in lockdown as for those still walking the streets and travelling on the subway.
- The vast millions spent on ‘track and trace’ have been wasted. Here, one fifth of potentially infected people are never traced, one in four of those traced could not be contacted, and there are no numbers to say how many of those reached actually went into self-isolation ~ not very many I suspect. Most of the staff in the test and trace centres have so little to do that they play games and surf the web on their official computers all day.
- Scientific studies from the Netherlands state that face coverings are worse than useless. Face coverings may be beneficial for short periods indoors where there is a risk of close contact with people you do not normally meet.
- It takes decades to even partially contain a virus; the common cold, ebola, epstein barr, flu, HIV/AIDS, rabies, smallpox, West Nile Virus….. are all still out there. Vaccines have serious side effects.
- Vaccines have limited effect. Millions are vaccinated against the flu, but you have to get a vaccine every year because the virus mutates, and you can still get sick from flu viruses that you weren’t vaccinated against.
If you want to know what a real pandemic looks like, as opposed to the coronavirus hysteria, then read about the influenza epidemic of 1918 ~ especially how it affected the USA. Everything that is being tried now to contain COVID-19, was tried back then, and none of it worked worth a damn.
Some say the people in white coats will save us all, all those under 50 years old anyway. And that the mad scientists should take over the world. All I know is that any ‘expert’ who says there is a way to contain a virus once it is in the general population is either a charlatan or a liar.
bar your doors and become a hermit
you will get lots of peace and quiet
you can still get the coronavirus
first it takes your mind, then it takes your life
there are strong links between boozing and dementia
Dementia actually kills four times as many people as all the deaths attributed to COVID-19, even at the height of the supposed pandemic. And, dementia kills people in a particularly horrible and distressing way. I am not and have never been worried about the coronavirus, but becoming a shadow of myself through the hell of dementia frightens me, if I ever let myself think about it.
However, dementia is not inevitable, it’s not all down to random chance, it’s not all down to genetics, and it’s not a pestilence inflicted by a malicious God. Your mind does not have to be blown to dust ~ there are things we can do right now to help ourselves avoid the unimaginable suffering of being locked inside a mind afflicted by Alzheimer’s, or a softening of the brain, or whatever else causes this insanity.
Dementia is not primarily a mental illness, it is physical degradation of the brain.
A hell of a lot of dementia is caused by the lifestyle choices we make. To reduce your chances of becoming a shell of who you used to be then;
- get plenty of sunshine, fresh air, and exercise
- keep mentally and socially active, do not sit in front of the TV or computer screen for hours at a time
- keep regular hours and get enough good sleep ~ 6 to 8 hours a night
- do not smoke ~ and if you do give it up, forever
- do not drink to excess ~ avoid binge drinking
- do not take drugs, and I mean strong medication as well as street drugs
- have a good healthy diet; avoiding fat, sugar, wheat and other grains, dairy products, junk food and takeout, and especially high fructose corn syrup
- do not get avoidable diabetes
- do not get obese, regularly check your Body Mass Index
- control your blood pressure and cholesterol
- avoid hearing loss
- focus on your general health and well-being; physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually ~ especially do all you can to avoid suffering from prolonged clinical depression
- do not to get sick from social diseases, so avoid; casual sex, using dirty needles, socialising with the dregs of society, drinking in sleazy bars, and taking vacations in disease riddled hell-holes like India
- do not get a head injury, so wear a helmet when cycling and avoid contact sports such as boxing. Do not get into bar fights.
- stay very clean; wash, shower, get in the tub, wear gloves for dirty jobs, wear clean clothes every day, change your bed-linen weekly
- do not get sent to jail
As it goes, all of the above are things that right-minded, self-disciplined, ethical and sensible people will do as a matter of course. There are two other things that will help you not to get dementia; be male and die young.
Some say that COVID-19 is the new plague sent by a vengeful deity. And that dementia only affects the very old. All I know is that all disease and infirmity is mostly preventable.
probably heading for dementia
a gluten-free diet is not just a fad ~ modern wheat is bad for everyone
Some say that wheat is safe for everyone except those who have celiac disease. And, that non-celiac gluten sensitivity isn’t a real medical condition. So why is wheat bad for you? Especially genetically enhanced, chemical laden, pesticide sprayed, modern American wheat is really, really bad for you. If you have the sense your mother gave you, then you should stop eating anything made from wheat.
Gluten intolerance and celiac disease are direct results of American agriculture policy and, specifically, the government’s wading into the food arena. ~ Joel Salatin.
Gluten is what turns a mixture of flower and water into glue. Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like; wheat, spelt, rye, barley, bulgur, oats, and seitan. There is no gluten in either quinoa or rice. Nor is there any gluten in potato or beans. However gluten is found in almost all processed and packaged foods, sauces, and canned food.
Non celiac gluten sensitivity is poorly understood, and there are no specific medical tests of your blood, stool, or urine that can reliably diagnose gluten intolerance. You and your doctors can only reliably diagnose gluten intolerance by the symptoms and health problems you have. On the other hand, there are reliable diagnostic tests for full-blown celiac disease.
- Irritable bowl problems such as abdominal pain, bloating, cramping, constipation, and diarrhoea.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Irritation of the mouth and throat.
- Brain fog, difficulty concentrating, problematic memory.
- Frequent headaches.
- Mood changes, anxiety, depression, irritability.
- Low energy and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Muscle and joint pains. Osteoporosis.
- Peripheral neuropathy, numbness and tingling in the hands, arms, feet and legs.
- Skin problems, dermatitis, eczema, rosacea, skin rashes.
- Nutrient deficiencies, vitamin deficiencies, iron deficiency, anemia.
- Asthmatic attacks.
- Higher risk of learning problems including autism and ADHD.
- Sexual problems and in women missed periods.
- Gut autoimmunity, damage to the gut biome
Gluten intolerance will affect every single part of the body as the bacteria in your gut help to control everything from nutrient absorption, to hormone production, to metabolic function, to the way your brain works.
The problem is that gluten from wheat is found in just as many products as that other evil and unnatural food; high fructose corn syrup. One should read the labels before buying any food, and certainly avoid these foods
- bread, crackers, pizza, burritos, tortilla, cakes, cookies and the like
- beer, lager, stouts, ales
- barley malt
- packaged, store bought chicken broth
- malt vinegar ~ buy natural organic apple cider vinegar instead
- most salad dressings including mayonnaise
- veggie burgers unless they are certified gluten-free
- soy sauce
- packets of seasonings and spice mixes
- noodles unless they are rice noodles
- all pasta, (unless it’s marked gluten-free)
- most condiments
- non dairy creamer
- bullion cubes and stock cubes
- canned soups
- cheese spreads and other processed cheeses
- sausages and hot dogs
- ice cream, frozen yogurt, and milk unless it’s from grass-fed cows.
- Sour cream, which may contain modified food starch.
If you are even mildly gluten intolerant you will need to be very careful when eating out. The same goes for buying Chinese take-out which is likely to be stuffed with MSG, (Monosodium Glutamate). When eating out avoid fried foods, thickened sauces, and obviously bread. Try to drink gluten-free booze such as cider, wine, spirits and liqueurs, (there are gluten-free beers). And, if you’re drinking spirits don’t have diet soda as your mixer ~ diet soda is also bad for you.
Some say that gluten intolerance might really be glyphosate poisoning. And that pre-harvest spraying of wheat and sugar cane with Roundup makes for an easier harvest. All I know is that I don’t want to eat food contaminated with weed-killer.
Glyphosate is for sure, in every bite of food that contains wheat. ~ Nancy S. Mure
As it goes, wheat flour and refined sugars are just so very bad for you that your best choice is to avoid them all together. The list of health problems caused by these two staple foods is both long and nasty.
For most of us, giving up bread and beer is a pretty easy and very beneficial thing to do.
Some say that if you want to be really fit and healthy, start by never again eating anything made with wheat flour. And that you know it makes sense. All I know is that I’ve felt healthier, fitter, and more alert since I realised that wheat is bad for you.
sigh…. Guinness and brown bread with Irish Stew is so good…..
half of all Americans are clinically obese ~ that means they’re fat
plenty of fresh air and exercise
not much need for a calorie-controlled diet
the most dangerous liars are those who think they are telling the truth
The lies, misdirections, obfustications, manipulated statistics, and scare stories surrounding COVID-19 continue. This time it’s from Professor Robin Shattock at Imperial College, (that high-profile home of liars and adulterers), who says that we will all need an annual booster shot of the COVID-19 vaccination, (when there is one), along with our annual booster shot of the flu vaccination. This guy should learn a better delivery when it comes to cautionary tales. It might be helpful if these academics actually knew the difference between vaccination and inoculation.
Do they seriously believe that anyone with a mind of their own is going to submit themselves to an annual inoculation to supposedly protect themselves against a relatively harmless virus? Probably they do. BIG Pharma rolls on and on towards….. mind control, a totally obedient global population, or just untold billions of dollars? Strange how there is now an ongoing news story that smokers are less likely to die from COVID-19 than are non-smokers….. I bet the big tobacco companies like that one.
You know something? The coronavirus pandemic, in real terms, it’s all lies. But nobody believes the plain and simple evidence of their own eyes any more.
we must all carry a big stick to scare away non-existent dragons
walking through rainstorms to be with the one you love
Summer in England 2020; doom, gloom, and rain. Would I walk five-thousand-miles through pouring rain and high winds to be on a lonely island with the one I love? Hell Yes! The one you love should be your precious angel and worth everything ~ else it isn’t really love at all.
Back in the day I learned a harsh lesson ~ you can’t beat City Hall. Right now there are some things I can’t do, and some things The Man is making me do that I’d rather not.
Some say we should always be the best person we can possibly be. And that the one you care for deserves the best of you, no matter what.
All I know is that I’ll make the best of things, and right now that means staying fit, strong, and healthy. In a few days I’m heading away from cold and rain to warmer and sunnier climes. Walking, swimming, yoga, Aegean sunshine, fresh mountain air, healthy food….. For a while I’ll be spending time working on becoming a physically better man.
beachcombing at dawn
how to learn who you really are
these days, an Englishman’s home truly is his castle
a castle in the clouds is as far as I’m likely to get
Just going to the store is becoming very complicated here. To begin with you can’t pay in cash, for most places you have to stand in line outside for a while, and in a few days time we are all going to have to start wearing face nappies again in stores. Face coverings are a requirement on public transport too, but the last time I was on a train, (just last week), hardly anyone bothered with that.
Train timetables are very restricted, for some services one must book in advance, and when you get to wherever the train is going you will find that most ‘attractions’ are shut.
The airlines are flying again, but face masks are a requirement in airports and on aircraft. How much fun would it be for me to wear a face mask for a continuous 24 hours if I was travelling to the USA? No fun at all. Not that I could fly to the USA in any event, because immigration wouldn’t let me in, and even if I was stopped at the US border I would still face 14 days quarantine when I returned to the UK.
That’s the problem with overseas travel. Theoretically there are flights, but when you get to where you’re going you’re probably going to be facing 14 days of self-isolation. Rather spoils the average vacation of business trip.
It’s all utterly pointless and political ~ nothing to do with health at all. Turns out that the number of COVID-19 deaths is very hyped / inflated. All deaths will be recorded as coronavirus related, whenever and whatever poor soul tested positive for the virus, even if the proximate cause of mortality was being run over by a bus.
I hope the right people start to make the right decisions soon. But I very much doubt it.
not going to happen for me any time soon
nightmares are your subconscious mind’s way of getting your attention
unrequited love is the most beautiful dream
and the worst nightmare
a dragon is never your worst nightmare
that would be a woman
your nightmares are as faithful as your own shadow
at night, your worst memories can never be held at bay
I still get childhood nightmares, but now I can remember them
in my worst nightmares, I have no mouth, and I must scream
in my waking dreams there are nothing but dark lonely regrets