the send of the sea answers all our prayers
In these times of worry, uncertainty, and stress it’s very easy for the negative emotions and bad news to overwhelm our minds ~ our thoughts, emotions, and spirit. All of that dark negativity effects us mentally and physically as stress, and when it gets very bad stress becomes distress.
Severe stress has a lot more symptoms than merely a lot of worry. For a start stress can cause insomnia, and that’s like throwing petrol, (gas), on a fire ~ it just makes it worse. Other symptoms of stress can include low energy, lassitude, fatigue, indecision, anger, aches and pains, chest pains, rapid heartbeat, headaches, loss of sexual desire, heart attacks, strokes, death…. Far too much stress also takes up so much of your reserves that you become more vulnerable to catching whatever other illnesses are out there.
Worrying about the coronavirus will make you more prone to catching the coronavirus.
One of the best ways to combat stress is through simple breathing / relaxation exercises. A simple internet search will find you lots of them https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/uz2255
However, years ago when I was under tremendous stress at work I found something of my own. For most people this exercise is far better than booze, drugs, or smoking too much.
- Close my eyes and imagine that I’m standing on a sunlit beach, I can feel the gentle warmth of the sun.
- The sound of the surf is very calm and slow, flowing in and out again.
- I time my breathing to that slow gentle surf.
- Slowly breathe in, pause, slowly breathe out again.
- And in the sound of my own breathing I hear the surf.
Usually, within a couple of minutes I feel calmer and more relaxed.
Within five minutes that simple breathing exercise drifts into meditation.
If you think you are suffering from the signs of stress, or deeper distress, then just try to slow your breathing and imagine the sounds of the gentle surf.
all things look better in the light of a new day.
first it takes your mind, then it takes your life
there are strong links between boozing and dementia
Dementia actually kills four times as many people as all the deaths attributed to COVID-19, even at the height of the supposed pandemic. And, dementia kills people in a particularly horrible and distressing way. I am not and have never been worried about the coronavirus, but becoming a shadow of myself through the hell of dementia frightens me, if I ever let myself think about it.
However, dementia is not inevitable, it’s not all down to random chance, it’s not all down to genetics, and it’s not a pestilence inflicted by a malicious God. Your mind does not have to be blown to dust ~ there are things we can do right now to help ourselves avoid the unimaginable suffering of being locked inside a mind afflicted by Alzheimer’s, or a softening of the brain, or whatever else causes this insanity.
Dementia is not primarily a mental illness, it is physical degradation of the brain.
A hell of a lot of dementia is caused by the lifestyle choices we make. To reduce your chances of becoming a shell of who you used to be then;
- get plenty of sunshine, fresh air, and exercise
- keep mentally and socially active, do not sit in front of the TV or computer screen for hours at a time
- keep regular hours and get enough good sleep ~ 6 to 8 hours a night
- do not smoke ~ and if you do give it up, forever
- do not drink to excess ~ avoid binge drinking
- do not take drugs, and I mean strong medication as well as street drugs
- have a good healthy diet; avoiding fat, sugar, wheat and other grains, dairy products, junk food and takeout, and especially high fructose corn syrup
- do not get avoidable diabetes
- do not get obese, regularly check your Body Mass Index
- control your blood pressure and cholesterol
- avoid hearing loss
- focus on your general health and well-being; physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually ~ especially do all you can to avoid suffering from prolonged clinical depression
- do not to get sick from social diseases, so avoid; casual sex, using dirty needles, socialising with the dregs of society, drinking in sleazy bars, and taking vacations in disease riddled hell-holes like India
- do not get a head injury, so wear a helmet when cycling and avoid contact sports such as boxing. Do not get into bar fights.
- stay very clean; wash, shower, get in the tub, wear gloves for dirty jobs, wear clean clothes every day, change your bed-linen weekly
- do not get sent to jail
As it goes, all of the above are things that right-minded, self-disciplined, ethical and sensible people will do as a matter of course. There are two other things that will help you not to get dementia; be male and die young.
Some say that COVID-19 is the new plague sent by a vengeful deity. And that dementia only affects the very old. All I know is that all disease and infirmity is mostly preventable.
probably heading for dementia
a gluten-free diet is not just a fad ~ modern wheat is bad for everyone
Some say that wheat is safe for everyone except those who have celiac disease. And, that non-celiac gluten sensitivity isn’t a real medical condition. So why is wheat bad for you? Especially genetically enhanced, chemical laden, pesticide sprayed, modern American wheat is really, really bad for you. If you have the sense your mother gave you, then you should stop eating anything made from wheat.
Gluten intolerance and celiac disease are direct results of American agriculture policy and, specifically, the government’s wading into the food arena. ~ Joel Salatin.
Gluten is what turns a mixture of flower and water into glue. Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like; wheat, spelt, rye, barley, bulgur, oats, and seitan. There is no gluten in either quinoa or rice. Nor is there any gluten in potato or beans. However gluten is found in almost all processed and packaged foods, sauces, and canned food.
Non celiac gluten sensitivity is poorly understood, and there are no specific medical tests of your blood, stool, or urine that can reliably diagnose gluten intolerance. You and your doctors can only reliably diagnose gluten intolerance by the symptoms and health problems you have. On the other hand, there are reliable diagnostic tests for full-blown celiac disease.
- Irritable bowl problems such as abdominal pain, bloating, cramping, constipation, and diarrhoea.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Irritation of the mouth and throat.
- Brain fog, difficulty concentrating, problematic memory.
- Frequent headaches.
- Mood changes, anxiety, depression, irritability.
- Low energy and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Muscle and joint pains. Osteoporosis.
- Peripheral neuropathy, numbness and tingling in the hands, arms, feet and legs.
- Skin problems, dermatitis, eczema, rosacea, skin rashes.
- Nutrient deficiencies, vitamin deficiencies, iron deficiency, anemia.
- Asthmatic attacks.
- Higher risk of learning problems including autism and ADHD.
- Sexual problems and in women missed periods.
- Gut autoimmunity, damage to the gut biome
Gluten intolerance will affect every single part of the body as the bacteria in your gut help to control everything from nutrient absorption, to hormone production, to metabolic function, to the way your brain works.
The problem is that gluten from wheat is found in just as many products as that other evil and unnatural food; high fructose corn syrup. One should read the labels before buying any food, and certainly avoid these foods
- bread, crackers, pizza, burritos, tortilla, cakes, cookies and the like
- beer, lager, stouts, ales
- barley malt
- packaged, store bought chicken broth
- malt vinegar ~ buy natural organic apple cider vinegar instead
- most salad dressings including mayonnaise
- veggie burgers unless they are certified gluten-free
- soy sauce
- packets of seasonings and spice mixes
- noodles unless they are rice noodles
- all pasta, (unless it’s marked gluten-free)
- most condiments
- non dairy creamer
- bullion cubes and stock cubes
- canned soups
- cheese spreads and other processed cheeses
- sausages and hot dogs
- ice cream, frozen yogurt, and milk unless it’s from grass-fed cows.
- Sour cream, which may contain modified food starch.
If you are even mildly gluten intolerant you will need to be very careful when eating out. The same goes for buying Chinese take-out which is likely to be stuffed with MSG, (Monosodium Glutamate). When eating out avoid fried foods, thickened sauces, and obviously bread. Try to drink gluten-free booze such as cider, wine, spirits and liqueurs, (there are gluten-free beers). And, if you’re drinking spirits don’t have diet soda as your mixer ~ diet soda is also bad for you.
Some say that gluten intolerance might really be glyphosate poisoning. And that pre-harvest spraying of wheat and sugar cane with Roundup makes for an easier harvest. All I know is that I don’t want to eat food contaminated with weed-killer.
Glyphosate is for sure, in every bite of food that contains wheat. ~ Nancy S. Mure
As it goes, wheat flour and refined sugars are just so very bad for you that your best choice is to avoid them all together. The list of health problems caused by these two staple foods is both long and nasty.
For most of us, giving up bread and beer is a pretty easy and very beneficial thing to do.
Some say that if you want to be really fit and healthy, start by never again eating anything made with wheat flour. And that you know it makes sense. All I know is that I’ve felt healthier, fitter, and more alert since I realised that wheat is bad for you.
sigh…. Guinness and brown bread with Irish Stew is so good…..
people should understand that doctors are not infallible saints
Here in England there has just been published a damning government apology after a review into three unsafe medical treatments for women.
Arrogant male surgeons, doctors, and other ‘medical professionals’ dismissed their patients’ reports of severe pain, birth defects, discomfort, loss of a sex-life, broken marriages, severe depression, attempted suicides, and destroyed lives as merely ‘women’s problems’.
The first of these unsafe medical treatments is the use of vaginal mesh to treat prolapse and incontinence. The government’s investigation and report was only undertaken after a long campaign by 8,000 women who formed a group called ‘Sling The Mesh’. Allegedly, most of the women who have had this operation were not fully informed by their doctors and surgeons of the appalling risks attached to the implant of something called transvaginal tape, (TVT). The procedure has been widely used in the UK and USA, and around 45% of the women operated on suffered severe complications. This kind of thing is already banned in New Zealand, but as expected the medical authorities here in England are vacillating somewhat on imposing a total ban on vaginal mesh implants.
The other two scandals to break today are of the hormonal pregnancy test Primodos, associated with damage to children born to mothers who took it ~ and the treatment for epilepsy sodium valporate, which harms babies if taken during pregnancy.
These three latest scandals follow on the heels of Thalidomide, defective pacemakers, faulty artificial hips, PIP breast implants, and maternity deaths due to clinical malpractice.
Of course, nothing like this will ever happen again
I knew a very eminent surgeon who confided in me that the very last thing a patient wants to do is to go under a surgeon’s scalpel ~ the risks are just too great. Personally, I used to trust my doctor until he insisted of giving me a drug that would do me no good whatsoever, for a complaint a didn’t have, and carried with it lots of unpleasant side-effects. It will be a very long time before I again seek help from any doctor.
Some say that the National Health Service in England is Broken and Unfit for Purpose. And that the last thing anyone should think about doing is consult a doctor. All I know is that ‘first do no harm’ is looking a little thin.
women’s medical problems are often ignored, missed, or misdiagnosed
courage is about doing what needs to be done, when it needs doing
It turns out that COVID-19 is a very selective killer virus. It’s racist, ageist, fattist, and discriminates against those who have cancer, diabetes, or a heart problem. Doesn’t much like men either. You are also far more likely to get seriously ill or die if you live in a big city and don’t get much exercise, fresh air, and sunshine. If you want to sail through a pandemic then you should be younger, fitter, and free from underlying health conditions and addictions.
There is a little evidence that smokers are less affected by the coronavirus than people who do not and have never smoked. If you’re a smoker don’t congratulate yourself because smoking will kill you faster and more certainly then COVID-19 ever would. Also, smokers tend to be unfit and have a host of chronic illnesses ~ like heart diseases. In fact, anyone with any addiction; booze, drugs of any kind, gambling, junk food, casual sex….. is far more likely to die from that addiction than from COVID-19, but this virus could well just push you over the edge.
As an example; working age men are twice as likely to die of COVID-19 than a similar woman. And, the 70 to 79 age group are 50 times more likely to die from catching the coronavirus than the under 40s. It’s complicated.
We do not know yet how to account for this. Socio-economic factors may be an influence….. There could be hidden genetic factors we do not yet understand. ~ Professor Karol Sikora.
We can’t alter our age or ethnicity, and it’s hard to change our socio-economic status, or where we live. But, how long is a piece of string? There is usually a big difference between someone’s chronological age than their physical age. Most chronic illnesses are caused by what we do and how we live; alcoholics will routinely suffer from liver and kidney diseases, heart diseases, cancers, and dementia ~ as well as having a strong chance of dying in an accident or committing suicide. Type 2 diabetes is all about lifestyle…..
So, to have a longer, healthier, and more rewarding life we need to be brave enough to change, have some self-discipline, stop being self-destructive, and just take good care of ourselves; physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.
For a start, no matter what else you believe or have been told, get out there and get some fresh air and exercise. Stop drinking, smoking, hanging around in bars, and eating junk food.
Some say you are just as old as you feel. And that they’re not really an addict, they just smoke the occasional joint, and like a beer or two. All I know is that most of us were on the Road to Hell but we can get off any time we like.
a glass of red a few times a week might be good for you
hot sexy older women love fast sexy older cars
Maybe a lesser known Dire Straits track, but powerfully evocative of a ‘who gives a fuck’ crazy lifestyle.
For me, Heavy Fuel is diesel, but I don’t think this song is really about trucks., big rigs, 18 wheelers, call them what you will. Or boats either. This song is about booze, drugs, and girls.
Please listen without breaking the speed limit.
And I would never, ever drive a Porsche.
sexy women have always loved a hot car
I am a free man
Yesterday I tried to come up with a bucket and to-do list that had 7 important things on it, and I got stuck after 6, which you will see if you look back at that post. I shouldn’t have been surprised, the number six is in my destiny right now.
Kipling thought that six was important too;
I keep six honest serving men, (They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why, and When
And How and Where and Who
If you can remember those, then you will never go far wrong when it comes to making any decision, writing anything, or making a success of anything you wish to do.
There are also 6 healing powers. The six best doctors are;
Sun, Rest, Exercise, Good Food, Self-Respect, and Friends
But, when it comes to good food, don’t eat too much of it. Keep well hydrated, and stay away from the booze.
In fact there are 6 things one should really stay away from;
Alcohol, Casual Sex, Drugs, Over-Eating, Smoking, and Refined Sugar
All of those will kill you eventually, some will just kill you faster than others.
The number 6 is also a perfect number, a congruent number, harmonic divisor number, and has lots to do with weird stuff like Zsigmondy’s Theorem, sphere packing, the kissing number problem, and Graeco-Latin squares.
Some say we should not worry about material items, including money. And that worry lowers the effectiveness of your thoughts, dreams, wishes, and prayers. All I know is that the Angel Number 6 means that our prayers will be answered, although the answer might be ‘no’.
we each have our own Angel and Goddess
Faint Heart could never win Fair Lady
This is all an artificial construct, because a very sensual, intelligent, emotionally mature, and very grounded woman can never be attracted by techniques, or schemes, or cunning artifice. The only person who could ever deceive that woman, or make her date an unsuitable man, or get into a less than ideal relationship is herself. And, women can be very good at fooling themselves, not that they would ever admit that, (hardly ever anyway).
There are innumerable works out there which will purport to tell a guy how to pick up a woman, how to regularly get casual sex, how to manipulate women, how to fuck them and leave them, and how to use them. Perhaps the deepest and most thorough treatise on the art of using women is The Way Of The Superior Man by David Deida. I can only stomach this book for a couple of pages at a time.
So, to the truth, and assuming you are not James Bond. To attract a sensual, intelligent, emotionally mature, and very grounded woman;
Be the very best version of yourself you can possibly be.
- Get healthier and fitter. Exercise, eat right, get some sun.
- Look as good as you can. Haircut, manicure, teeth, and manage any facial or other extraneous hair.
- Dress as well as you can ~ appropriately for the place and occasion, but find your own style. Always dress up, rather than dress down. Pay attention to your shoes and tie.
- Control your addictions. Stop smoking, don’t drink much at all, don’t gamble, don’t overeat or eat junk food, and FFS do not use drugs.
- Learn some English good manners. Almost all American men have appalling manners, but not as bad as Germans, Japanese, and most other Asians or Hispanics.
- Learn how to hold a conversation, and for most men that means learning how to listen to her.
- Read some interesting books, learn some interesting things to talk about ~ most women are very uninterested in sports. Find out what she is interested in and learn about that. Have a wide and deep knowledge base, but never ever bore her with what you know.
- Accessorise well. Apartment, car, watch, pen…..
- Learn about money, manage your money well so you can always pick up the tab if you need to, but never ever flash your cash around.
But, most of all, care about her. If you do not genuinely like her and care about her then you are wasting both of your time. I’m not talking about love, that should usually only come deep into a relationship. Caring about someone is different. She is a person, not a sex object. If you want a sex object find a hooker or a slut.
Some say there is no such thing as ‘the art of attracting woman’. And that any woman you can get that’s willing and breathing is the one you want. All I know is that there is nothing so precious to a man as real and honest friendship with a woman.
Bond makes up his own rules
the devil finds work for idle hands
If you are unlucky enough to find yourself in lockdown / quarantine / self-isolation, then you will know just how boring, enervating, and soul-destroying the long, long days can be. Unless you are so ill that all you want to do is sleep, you will probably be tempted to do three things; drink too much, eat too much junk food, watch too much mindless TV. If you are so inclined you may also be tempted to smoke too many cigarettes, and over-indulge in your other drugs of choice.
None of the above activities are such a good idea. May I make some alternative suggestions;
- Make a plan. With your partner, friend, long-distance friend(s) make a plan for how you are going to survive and thrive during this present coronavirus crisis. Make a plan for what you are going to do after lockdown is over. Make a plan for what you are going to do with the rest of this year / next year / next 3 years. Me, as soon as air travel is allowed I’m flying to the USA to visit a friend, and we are going to take a long road trip.
- If you are well enough take yourself for a walk in the fresh air and sunshine. Just stay at least 6 feet away from any other people you may meet. Take your dog if you have one.
- Exercise at home. There are hundreds of exercise sites on the internet. If you’re not feeling so good then try learning yoga, which is an excellent form of exercise. If you’re not well enough for that then look for exercises you can do sitting down.
- If you are lucky enough to have a garden, get out there and get your hands dirty.
- If you aren’t well enough for that, then sit on your balcony, in your garden, outside your apartment. Take no notice of any officious neighbours, and assume that the police are too busy to be jerks on your behalf.
- If your mind is working well enough, then read something challenging, preferably while you are sitting out of doors.
- Even if you don’t feel much like eating, then just make yourself cook something you will eat. Use whatever ingredients you have in the larder, refrigerator, freezer. Or find a recipe and go to the store, and that will also get you out of your place. (or order on-line, or get a friend to go to the store for you)
- If you’ve been very unwell then you probably look like hell. Get yourself clean and tidy, put on some cool clothes, and launder all the dirty stuff. Change your bedding and launder that too.
- If you’re anything like me, not doing anything much for 10 days or so, then your place is most likely a hell of a mess. Clean it all, including your kitchen and bathroom ~ and I mean really clean it. Me, I did the garret in half-hour stints, because after a half hour I had to sit down and rest a while.
- Work on your relationships. If you live with a partner, then give them some TLC. If you live with your kids then find some fun things for them to do with you. Repair any damage you may have done when you were depressed, angry, and insane.
- If, like me, you have long-distance relationships, then use the internet and telephone. Or even write your to your friend(s) in an old-fashioned pen and ink letter or card.
- Learn something new. There are innumerable on-line courses. A friend of mine is studying Late Medieval Devotional Art through a free Harvard course. Me? I’ve reading all about how to survive the end of the world….
The thing is you can be utterly depressed and miserable during this period of enforced self-isolation. Or, you can make the most of this time so that you emerge from lockdown a better, fitter, healthier, more grounded person than you were in March this year. I know which one I’ve chosen. I’ve tried the insane misery route, trust me, it doesn’t work.
all of the above applies if you’re working from home