first it takes your mind, then it takes your life
there are strong links between boozing and dementia
Dementia actually kills four times as many people as all the deaths attributed to COVID-19, even at the height of the supposed pandemic. And, dementia kills people in a particularly horrible and distressing way. I am not and have never been worried about the coronavirus, but becoming a shadow of myself through the hell of dementia frightens me, if I ever let myself think about it.
However, dementia is not inevitable, it’s not all down to random chance, it’s not all down to genetics, and it’s not a pestilence inflicted by a malicious God. Your mind does not have to be blown to dust ~ there are things we can do right now to help ourselves avoid the unimaginable suffering of being locked inside a mind afflicted by Alzheimer’s, or a softening of the brain, or whatever else causes this insanity.
Dementia is not primarily a mental illness, it is physical degradation of the brain.
A hell of a lot of dementia is caused by the lifestyle choices we make. To reduce your chances of becoming a shell of who you used to be then;
- get plenty of sunshine, fresh air, and exercise
- keep mentally and socially active, do not sit in front of the TV or computer screen for hours at a time
- keep regular hours and get enough good sleep ~ 6 to 8 hours a night
- do not smoke ~ and if you do give it up, forever
- do not drink to excess ~ avoid binge drinking
- do not take drugs, and I mean strong medication as well as street drugs
- have a good healthy diet; avoiding fat, sugar, wheat and other grains, dairy products, junk food and takeout, and especially high fructose corn syrup
- do not get avoidable diabetes
- do not get obese, regularly check your Body Mass Index
- control your blood pressure and cholesterol
- avoid hearing loss
- focus on your general health and well-being; physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually ~ especially do all you can to avoid suffering from prolonged clinical depression
- do not to get sick from social diseases, so avoid; casual sex, using dirty needles, socialising with the dregs of society, drinking in sleazy bars, and taking vacations in disease riddled hell-holes like India
- do not get a head injury, so wear a helmet when cycling and avoid contact sports such as boxing. Do not get into bar fights.
- stay very clean; wash, shower, get in the tub, wear gloves for dirty jobs, wear clean clothes every day, change your bed-linen weekly
- do not get sent to jail
As it goes, all of the above are things that right-minded, self-disciplined, ethical and sensible people will do as a matter of course. There are two other things that will help you not to get dementia; be male and die young.
Some say that COVID-19 is the new plague sent by a vengeful deity. And that dementia only affects the very old. All I know is that all disease and infirmity is mostly preventable.
probably heading for dementia