don’t start this month by doing last month’s work
let me know how that works out for you
When I was at grammar school I never did the boring and routine things; taking notes, homework, actually turning up for school….. It was so much easier to drift though life than it would have been to
stay awake pay attention in lessons. Or so I thought at the time. I had a very rude awakening when I first started work, in a bank. Reality says that Banking is all about routine and boring things, and that people can get quite upset if you mess up their money, and maybe a couple of their cheques get bounced.
And so I learned the importance of doing the very boring, distasteful, and routine things ~ the things that some people just ignore, and then complain bitterly when they find themselves at the murky end of the swamp, in deep shit. How many of us have seen these reality shows where people turn up at an airline check-in desk, and their passport is out of date? You might think that could never happen to you. But oh yes it could ~ something similar has almost happened to me.
Just this morning something prompted me to check the expiry date on my driving licence. It turns out that it has about a month to run. If you don’t live in England you may think that’s no big deal. Here, it’s quite a big deal. There is no automatic renewal on a drivers licence ~ I have to apply for a new one, to the DVLA, in Swansea, Wales. That’s a monolithic bureaucracy if ever there was one.
The consequences of not having a valid driving licence are severe, if you drive, especially in a foreign country…..
The things that some people do / don’t do include;
- Not opening their mail. I knew a girl who had years of unopened mail stored in sundry cardboard boxes.
- Not reading whatever is in their mail, or reading their mail and then just ignoring it, maybe putting the more important things in a drawer to deal with later.
- Not paying their regular bills ~ trust me that can get you into deep shit.
- Ignoring their bank statements and not balancing their cheque book.
- Doing their taxes; which is pretty important in the USA.
- Ignoring important but boring emails ~ instead they spend lots of time on social media.
- No doing routine maintenance on their car; lights, oil, tyres, water ~ and putting fuel in the damn thing. All of this should be checked at least once a week.
- Making and keeping regular appointments with their dentist, doctor(s), optician ~ then not filling any prescriptions they are given, or if they do then not taking their medication.
- Staying in contact with their family ~ or just giving lip service to staying in touch.
The thing is, these routine, distasteful, and boring tasks are the things that maintain your place in society. If you don’t keep your place in modern society, they you are a nobody, sooner or later.
Some say that most of their mail is just junk, so why bother. And that as long as they can get cash at the ATM, then their finances are fine. All I know is that a stitch in time saves nine.
notes and lists are a brilliant invention
all of us forget things from time to time
just don’t misplace your notes and lists