the night is the hardest time to be alive and all alone
It’s the wee small hours of the morning, I’m still in hospital, I still hurt, and my mind is racing ~ small wonder I can’t sleep. There are some other reasons I’m wide awake; not so long ago I was drinking heavily, the nurses are still giving me a bunch of medication at bed-time, including antibiotics, EPO, and a strong painkiller ~ these meds knock me out for a while, but that isn’t real sleep. Add to that I’m dozing during the day, getting no exercise, getting no fresh air, and I’m seeing no natural daylight to speak of.
All of which leads me to consider what it is we need to get the 6 to 8 hours of good sleep a night we all need if we want to be healthy in body, mind, emotions, and spirit.
- We need natural daylight, preferably sunshine and fresh air, to reset our internal body clock. If we spend all day in artificial light, only emerging from our homes and workplace when it’s dark, then our body clock is screwed.
- Do not drink too much coffee or strong tea, or eat chocolate late at night, the caffeine screws with our brain chemistry.
- Do not self-medicate with booze. Do not drink too much alcohol, especially avoid the couple of glasses of red wine in the late evening. Better still avoid getting blasted late at night and passing out. Alcohol is very bad for you, and you can take that one to the bank.
- Do not eat late at night. You should not eat within a couple of hours of going to bed.
- Drink plenty of water, even if it means you have to get up in the night to pee.
- Avoid looking at your computer / tablet / smart phone within an hour of going to bed, and do not keep your device on the bedside cabinet. The blue light screws with your brain’s idea of when it’s night and day.
- Your bedroom should be very dark and fairly cool. If you are sweating in bed, or throw the covers off, then your room is too warm.
- Avoid sleep medication. Even herbal sleep aids are bad if you use them for longer than a couple of weeks. Anyway, any sleep medication loses its effect after a few weeks and you will need stronger and stronger doses.
- Do not take the problems of the day to bed with you. Before you go to bed spend 20 minutes or so just relaxing and emptying your mind.
Some say that they get by on very little sleep at all. And that they do their best work at night. All I know is that I can step into the night and dream of adventures with the Lady I Love.
Bon nuit et bon rêves. Dormez bien mon amour.
watch the dark moon rise
and make a darkling wish