You must suffer me to go my own dark way.
50 Shades of Grey is full of people with serious personality disorders
In psychiatry a personality disorder is defined as; a deeply ingrained pattern of behaviour of a specified kind that deviates from the norms of generally accepted behaviour, typically apparent by the time of adolescence, and causing long-term difficulties in personal relationships and / or functioning in society.
Those unfortunate enough to suffer from a personality disorder have a serious mental illness, which often varies in severity over time, and struggle to live anything like a normal life.
There are about 10 different major types of personality disorder;
- Paranoid. People with this have extreme paranoia which is not based in reality.
- Schizoid. This is not schizophrenia. This prevents people from having close relationships with others.
- Schizotypal. This is not schizophrenia nor is it schizoid personality disorder. People with this tend to have strange and eccentric beliefs, such as in UFOs and a Flat Earth. Normal people have difficulty relating to people with schizotypal personality disorder.
- Antisocial. People with this utterly disregard the rights and feelings of others. Antisocial Personality Disorder encompasses sociopaths and psychopaths.
- Narcissistic. This is similar to antisocial personality disorder, again these people disregard the feelings and rights of others, but this is also accompanied by total arrogance and a feeling of importance.
- Histrionic. These people excessively seek out attention, are the life and soul of the party, they need to feel validated.
- Borderline. This is similar to paranoid personality disorder, but people with BPD also have extreme and rapid mood swings and a morbid fear of abandonment. People with BPD engage in risky behaviour.
- Avoidant. These people do not take risks, suffer from agorophobia, extreme social inhibition…..
- Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder. People with this personality disorder have to be control of their environment, are obsessively clean and tidy, and engage in strange and repetitive actions.
- Dependent Personality Disorder. This causes separation anxiety, and an inability to take action on their own, without the advice of others.
Anyone suffering from any of the above personality disorders will have difficulty coping in the real world, struggle to have and maintain healthy relationships with others, and can suffer from the symptoms and traits of serious mental, emotional, and psychological illnesses; depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, promiscuity, gaslighting, compulsive gambling, criminality, suicidal tendencies, extreme anger and violence, detachment from reality…..
Those with a serious personality disorder may also appear charming, successful, and high-functioning. However, if others feel that they are always walking on eggshells around you, then it’s a sure sign that you have one or more of the above personality disorders.
If you have a personality disorder you need immediate and long-term medical help ~ or you may cause serious harm to yourself and / or others. In extreme cases those with serious symptoms of their personality disorder may cause death. But, good luck in getting a proper diagnosis or any suitable treatment.
Some of the personality disorders listed above do not respond to medication, and are only amenable to talking treatments such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
I have suffered from borderline personality disorder for a long, long time, and I am only now beginning to have some decent recovery from the destructive symptoms of this illness.
Some say that you’re just plain crazy. And that you’re one strange dude. All I know is that if you have a personality disorder, it’s not your fault.
those with a personality disorder are very much Jekyll and Hyde characters.