How To Achieve Inner Peace.
Back when I was an overpaid banker in the City of London I used to suffer terribly from anxiety, stress, and worrying too much about everything and nothing. I was even hospitalised for 8 weeks due to stress, (and because of the effects of my chosen anti-anxiety medication ~ drinking too much booze).
We are all different, we all feel our emotions in different ways, and we all react differently to stress. However, there are some stress and worry prone personalities ~ these are the people who are always in a hurry, who have to be the best at everything, who can’t ever say no, who spread themselves thin, who push themselves beyond all rational limits. I used to be that man, and I used to be the best there ever was in my chosen profession, with all the trappings of success, including crushing unhappiness. A recipe for illness and an early death.
I am no longer that man, partly because I now firmly believe that;
- Everyone should put their own needs first, only when I feel comfortable, settled, and secure with my own life can I begin to give of myself and share with others in a healthy way.
- Feeling bad about the past, and punishing myself for all my past mistakes, is utterly pointless. I have no control over the past and no amount of regret, remorse, or bad feelings can change history.
- My feelings and emotions are not some mysterious and uncontrollable force that has me at their mercy. I do not have to go on feeling bad forever.
- To be a good, conscientious and worthy man I don’t have to continually worry and fret about what the future has in store, and what I’m going to do about it all.
- My worth as a man is not determined by the opinions of others. If people don’t like me and don’t like what I do, then they can just fuck off.
- I am not responsible for the feelings of others, especially I am not ultimately responsible for the feelings of those I care for.
- Life is difficult and painful, shit happens, and not every day is going to be better than the one before. Deal with it and do not take it personally ~ the Cosmos does not care.
- All of my feelings and problems are my own, they are not always caused by other people, there is no point in blaming others when I feel bad, or I don’t get what I want, or when shit happens.
- I cannot change what happens to me, but I can change how I react and what I do about it all.
I defy anyone to fundamentally disagree with any or all of those statements. They are are true, and believing in them, and living by them, is something you can learn.
Your feelings and thoughts are yours and yours alone. To make your life better you must take responsibility for your own emotions, feelings, and what you do about them. To make your life better beyond your wildest dreams you must learn self-discipline in body, mind, and spirit. There is no one else to blame, at the end of the day there is only you and what you choose to do.
My will shall shape my future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man’s doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny. ~ Elaine Maxwell.
Anxiety, stress, and worry, are merely imaginings of all the bad things that have happened, are happening, and could happen in the future. The truth is that bemoaning your fate is just an abrogation of responsibility. Be an urban warrior, be cool, calm, and collected. Take full responsibility for your own life, and live the good life with serenity and inner peace.
these thoughts are mine,
and mine alone