Your intellect may be very confused, but your emotions will never lie to you. ~ Robert Ebert
After thirty years looking after very large amounts of other people’s’ money, I can usually tell when someone is lying to me ~ or not telling the whole and honest truth, which is just as bad.
Nine times out of ten, anyone saying any of the following is a damn liar:
- I love you.
- I really care for you.
- Since I met you I haven’t slept with anybody else.
- I’m not married / I’ve never been married / I don’t have any children
- I haven’t been smoking / drinking / using / gambling / stealing / sleeping around.
- I have never hit her / him / them.
- I’m telling you the truth, honestly, trust me.
- I will pay you back [the money].
- I wasn’t even there.
- I am taking my medication.
Of course there are other heinous lies such as: I never really loved him / her, it didn’t mean anything, your past doesn’t bother me, I will miss you, I can’t stay long because I have to meet my sister / brother, it wasn’t my fault, it wasn’t me, it was an accident, I forgot, I don’t remember, I don’t care what you do for a living / how much money you have, I’ve never had an STD, I’m not seeing anyone else, you look nice, I’ll do it in a minute….
The more someone asserts that they are telling the truth, the more likely it is they are lying. If you know your partner / friend has told one or all of the above lies, then get as far away from them as you possibly can, as fast as you can, and never once look back.
If you ever come across someone who can say these things truthfully and sincerely, then you have discovered a very rare thing indeed, almost an urban myth, you have found an honourable and honest person.